Wagga Wagga City
On October 10th 1949, a meeting of Downside and Coursing park landholders was held, with a view to forming a Bushfire Brigade. Councillor George Poile and Wyatt Vonarx from the Brucedale Brigade outlined the procedures required. Following discussions, the decision was made to form the Downside Brigade and purchase appropriate equipment.
Max Meiklejohn was elected Captain, and Bill Hamilton as Secretary / Treasurer, a position he held until Peter Hamilton succeeded him in 1982. Bill was recognised by the Bushfire Council of NSW with a certificate and badge for his services to the Brigade over twenty five years as Secretary.
The position of Captain has been held since Max Meiklejohn was elected
as Captain by in 1949 by Dud Francis (1952-53), Eric Hamilton (1954-74),
At a meeting at the Downside hall in September 2004 the Research Brigade amalgamated with the Downside Rural Fire Brigade.
The Research Rural Fire Brigade was originally called the Experimental Farm Bush Fire Brigade and was formed in 1946 with Fred Harris being the inaugural secretary / treasurer.