The Matong Brigade came into existence in 1942 with a savings bank account showing a balance of 6 pounds 5 shillings and 10 pence. The earliest minutes available are for 1950 recorded by the late C.J. Smith who was Secretary until 1956. The first small pump unit was obtained in 1953. This pump although unserviceable is still in the Brigade Station today. Prior to this time the only pieces of equipment available to members were as quoted in the 1950 minutes. They were 2 knapsacks, 1 axe, 7 beaters, 2 lengths of ¾ hose, 2 files & 3 waterbags.
1954 saw the arrival of another small pump from Council and a trailer purchased by the Brigade from the late Lindsay McLaren for forty five pounds. Two 44 gallon drums were placed on the trailer later discarded for a tank. A Fargo truck was purchased by the Brigade from Tom Holden for One Hundred Pounds. Ike Holgate made a tank for this truck. A Chev truck was purchased about 1965 for Three Hundred Pounds and a new Grascos high pressure pump was fitted.
A quote for Four Hundred and Thirty Pounds from J Clarke & Sons of Narrandera to build a new shed was accepted by the Brigade in 1965. The land the shed was built on was purchased by Council from a George Wing Chong and given to the Brigade. Some members advanced money to the Brigade for the new shed. The monies later refunded. Over the years the levy starting at One shilling per 100 acres and rose to $2.00 per 100 acres. Later with the advent of the Rural Fire Service it ceased.
1985 saw the arrival of an International truck being fitted with a new pump and tank and CB radio obtained from Council. The Brigade received a new Mitsubishi Canter in 1998 supplied by the RFS. An Isuzu Cat 1 Tanker was received by the Brigade in 2001. A new shed was supplied by the RFS and was officially opened on Australia Day 2001 by Coolamon Shire Mayor Robert Menzies.