A meeting was called by the Ganmain Progress Association in October 1915 to try and form and equip a Fire Brigade for the town. Mr Thos Carlyon was heavily involved in acquiring a pump and hose as the first piece of equipment, and this was followed by the purchase of a ‘Hicks’ fire fighting unit. All this equipment was kept at the blacksmith shop of Mr R D Burns, who together with Mr J Bowen appear to have been the first Ganmain Fire Brigade Captains.
Records are sparse from this point until after the spate of fires in the elate 1920’s when moves were made to reform and update the equipment.
The Ganmain Fire Brigade was reformed in early 1930 when Dr Considine was President of the Progress Association. An old Buick truck was purchased from Alec Hatty and a tank and hand pump put on it. By 1938 the brigade still had no ‘official’ status as a fire fighting organization as its operation was restricted, particularly in regard to fires which occurred in the town, thus members of the brigade could still be liable for damage that might be caused in fighting a fire. The fire truck was housed in a shed at the back of Les Jones’ garage (currently owned by Steele Bros) next to Boggy Creek, who was also President of the Fire Brigade, as well as Fire Brigade Captain.
Enquiries were made in 1958 on the cost of a siren to replace the bell which was very unsatisfactory. This was accomplished and in operation by the next year. By this time the Brigade had two units, which were housed in the fire station, south of Boggy Creek, next to the Red Cross Rooms.
The next big step was after a fire in Ganmain. Les Crozier, at his hotel advocated a ‘decent’ fire brigade and put one hundred Pounds towards it. Others followed and a new truck and equipment bought.
On 22 March, 1982 the new and modern Fire Brigade building was built on the corner of Waterview and Ford Streets, opposite the Park. This was opened by Mr Michael ‘Bardy’ Quinn, who was President of the Fire Brigade and Fire Captain.
In 1988 and 1989 a new and larger tank was bought and work on a newly purchased and more modern truck completed to give Ganmain the best equipped Bush Fire Brigade in the Coolamon Shire.
For the first time in 1991 the Ganmain Bush Fire Brigade was called to assist in fires outside the Shire, one at Colinroobie and one at The Rock. President of the Ganmain Rural Fire Brigade is currently Mr C Stevens with Geoff Brill Fire Captain.
Following the Coolamon Shire appointment of a Fire Control Officer and later the formation of the Riverina Zone the Ganmain Brigade now with updated modern fire fighting appliances found that they needed to extend the fire Station to house all their units under one roof. Following a joint effort by Coolamon Shire council, the RFS and the local community the fire station was extended in 2004 and opened in October of that year by Mayor Clr Robert Menzies and Riverina Zone Manager Joe Knox.